If you are self-employed it is important to know if an expense is tax allowable. Any allowable costs can be used to reduce your taxable profit.

As a general rule you can claim for items that you would normally use for less than 2 years as allowable expenses such as stationery and other office sundries as well as rent, rates, power and insurance costs.

HMRC lists the following office expenses as being allowable:

Regarding training costs, you can claim training costs that help you:

You cannot claim for training courses that help you:

Source:HM Revenue & Customs | 17-06-2024